Hello Birdies! Congratulations you’ve made it to Friday! If you’re in the trenches of planning a lot of you may be spending the weekend dress shopping. How exciting! Here are some tips and tricks to gear you up for a weekend full of fun, and hopefully, stress-free shopping.
- Get organized.
- If you’ve been reading since day one, you’ll know that this is one of the rules that i live by. Don’t go out there and start shopping without doing your research first. Once you’ve found the styles and designers you like, make a couple of appointments at a few stores. If this is your first time out, limit yourself to a couple of stores as to not get overwhelmed. Make sure to take any visual aids with you like magazine tear-outs or saved photos on your mobile device.
- Take a reliable posse.
- Believe it or not, who you take with you can make or break your shopping experience. You want to make sure that you only invite the most important people, but also people who will be honest and subjective. Now I know this is easier said than done. You may have a brash sister, or outspoken aunt. Give yourself a pep talk before you walk into the bridal salon and promise yourself no matter what feedback you get from the outside, you’ll be true to yourself and what you want because whose day is it? Yours. YOU. ARE. THE. BRIDE.
- Throw in a monkey wrench.
- Just go with me on this one. You’re going to see a lot of dresses. Obviously your more likely to try on the dresses that best fit the vision in your mind. But…a dress may catch your eye. One that is totally not what you expected, but for some reason you can’t help but like it. Try it on. You may hate it or you may totally fall in love. Either way, it’s not a bad idea to shock yourself with something different.
- Follow your instincts.
- Yes, another one of my go-to rules. No body knows your heart better than you. If you found the dress of your dreams, if you have that moment where you say, “This is how I want to look, this is the me I want to be when I marry (insert your handsome groom’s name here). Trust that feeling. On the other hand, if you feel like you’re not ready to make a decision, it’s ok to walk away and think about it. You can always take a day or move on to the next appointment before you make any final decisions.
- Don’t forget to have fun.
- Yes, this is probably one of the most, if not the most important dress you’ll ever wear. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t have fun. Enjoy the process of trying on beautiful gowns and accessories. These are the memories you’ll look back on when you reflect on the planning process.
Happy Shopping and have a great weekend!